I’ve been doing a lot of sewing this summer. First, I polished up an old project that had a previous life as a set of XL-Twin sheets from my freshman year of college. Since I will never own a twin bed, much less an XL one, again, I sacrificed this set in the name of Science. No, not really, but I did try out a “pattern” from a pattern-less book that was published circa 1977. The resulting dress was shapeless and baggy, so I tried polishing it up with some darts (okay, a lot of darts). Regardless of my fitting efforts, the dress was still hideous (might have to do with orange stripe overload), and it was shoved into the back of my closet. Fast forward a few months, and I decide to try to give it new life. I cut it off at the top of the hips, added a band and some tying ribbons, and trimmed the collar back. Add some side slits, and voila, this cute little tunic was born.
While working on the tunic, I realized how dusty my sewing machine became while sitting around and doing nothing (which, admittedly, is most of the time). I tried out a measure-and-cut-it-yourself quilted sewing machine cover pattern from a book I checked out from the Library (Great Sewing Accessories to Sew by Carol Parks). My sewing is awful, but, for the moment, it serves.
To the right is the pride of my summer’s efforts of sewing–a simple empire waist dress made from a New Look pattern. Very nice, yes? There were a couple of things I had to modify– side darts were a requirement (really, what were they thinking, putting 4 and a half inches of ease into the bust of a strappy dress?!), and the straps had to be shortened (even now they’re too loose, but they serve). I do like the pattern, but I think the company should take it back to the drawing board. It’s a multi-dress pattern, and I am planning on making another one from it with a different bodice. We’ll see.
This is the first bag I’ve made from a pattern. It’s from Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter. The first run on this one was okay, but I decided this bag was definitely meant for a heavier material than calico.
Enter the completely adorable denim version! It’s currently serving as my knitting bag. I did make a few modifications with this version after field testing version number one. I made the interior pockets bigger, to better accomodate my Blackberry and the metric ton of little things I carry around. I didn’t have twill tape handy for the key strap as called for in the pattern, so I just used a strip of the lining material. I use a carabiner, anyway, so that was simple and practical enough.
And check out the cute little pin on it! Found it in a box of paints that I’ve had since I was 11. Gonna add some more that have been languishing in my jewelry box.
In other news, I’m attempting to start a small-scale silk-screening operation. This is screen #1, as yet untested. It’s kind of sloppy because I attached it in a manner that would make the screen easy to rip off if it doesn’t work.
What with all the sewing, my knitting has not gone ignored. This is the halfway point of Hilja, by Niina Hakkarainen (linked project is in the original Finnish–English PDF available on Ravelry). I’m making it with Cascade 220 Heathers in green. It’s so sooooft. My craving for a nerd vest may very well be intensely satisfied by this pattern.
The Spiral Socks are going well (no pictures until they’re done). I set myself a due date for them since I put them off for a bit to work on Hilja, but they should be done by Saturday. Other projects are currently napping.
In other news, here are the kids, snoozing in the office.